Construction/Renovation Project Information (High School/Middle School)
Updates - Remodel and renovation of our High School / Middle School
Construction began over the holiday break and things are moving along! The students, staff, and visitors have been very understanding and flexible with the changes and adjustments. We appreciate the support and interest shown by our students, staff, patrons, and visitors from other schools as they attend our events. Thank you so much!
Please follow this link to view pictures of the current demolition and renovation project. It is truly amazing what lies behind walls that were built in the mid-1920's!
Beginning Jan. 4, 2016
We will hold a few of our classes (the teacher will remain at the off-site class location during the day) off-site beginning January 4th. We will shuttle high school students to their classes and return them to the high school at noon for lunch. Afternoon classes for these teachers will also be off-site. We will do everything that we can to make this a smooth transition for the students and staff. This experience allows our students and staff to emulate a “real world” and “real life” experience and we want to capitalize on this during 2nd semester. Please support us during this endeavor!
A special “thanks” to the Indian Hills Center, Keo Health Center, and the United Methodist Church for allowing us to hold off-site classes at their facility.
Important upcoming events and dates:
- December 21 – 7:30 p.m. – 7th – 12th Winter Concert! Enjoy the musical talents of our students on this special evening!
- December 22, 3:45 p.m. – Construction crews begin working in the high school/middle school building. The building is closed for remaining winter break.
- Asbestos abatement in specific areas of the building will also take place over winter break. The abatement construction supervisor will be here on Dec. 9th if you have questions and we can also respond to any of your questions at the District office.
- Dec. 23 – Jan. 3 – the High School/Middle School will be closed to all activities & events
- January 2, 2016 – Basketball auction and dinner – High school gym, use south entrance doors only
- January 4, 2016 – School resumes
- January 20, 2016 – 7:00 p.m., Regular school board meeting and board vote / resolution on whole-grade sharing agreement with Harmony. Location of school board meetings may change to one of our classroom spaces during 2nd semester. Please stay tuned.
- February 10, 2016 – 6:00 p.m., Special school board session, resolution – intent to study reorganization
- February 17, 2016 – 7:00 p.m., Regular school board meeting
- January – August 2016 – construction / renovation project.
Construction/Renovation Project at the High School / Middle School beginning soon!
Our upcoming construction and renovation project at the high school/middle school is beginning soon and now the countdown begins! In mid-December, the construction crews will mobilize on our campus to begin some of the pre-construction tasks such as setting up trailers, placing caution fences, marking off parking lots, putting up construction signage, and securing places for people to stay during the 9-10 months they are here. It will be a flurry of activity in December and we are working very hard on all of the details. No doubt that everyone will need to be flexible during this process and “give a little or a lot” to ensure that the construction crews can complete what they came here to do with little disruption or additional costs.
As the saying goes, “please be patient with us during construction!” We ask that our community, parents, staff, and students be accepting, helpful, and calm during the months of the construction project. We will be asking many people to be flexible while we try new things during construction so that our crews can do their work. Each day of construction matters and my job is to support their work so we stay on track, on budget, remain safe and responsible, and complete a successful project! I work very closely and on a daily basis with our construction company to make decisions about all kinds of details. It is really amazing what comes up during construction!
I have been through construction projects before and they can be extremely challenging and wonderful all at the same time. My goal is to communicate the changes with everyone as much as possible and as frequent as possible. Please know that sometimes it is necessary to gather all of the details before sending out communication and I will do my best to be accurate and timely.
What will occur in December with our construction/renovation project?
- Crews will arrive mid-December! Some will locate here in town and others where they could find room and board. I expect we will see 100+ additional people in our community during the 9-10 months of the project! Please help them to feel welcome and we look forward to what everyone can offer in our community to make this a successful experience. If you have any ideas, please let us know.
- December 23rd – the construction crews begin working in the building.
- Asbestos abatement in specific areas of the building will also take place over winter break. The abatement construction lead will be here on Dec. 9th if you have questions and we can also respond to any of your questions at the District office.
- Asbestos abatement process is very specific and requires detailed steps as per OSHA. The areas abated will be contained, secure, and the crews hired to do this work are licensed as such.
- All 3 levels of the High School will experience renovation. The crews will contain the entire south end of the building (all 3 levels) from Jan. – June 1. Temporary hallways will be set up on the 1st level for students to travel through the building and for community members to attend activities. We will use the south doors (near band room) and the doors into the gymnasium as our main entrances for events. Students will enter and exit using the far north doors, doors directly into the gym, or the south doors near the band room. The main doors near the gym will be closed off during construction as well as the main doors / stairs to the high school office.
- Breakfast and lunch will be in the gym! We are going to have a lot of fun changing things up!
- The north end of the building will be under construction during the summer of 2016 with the anticipated completion at the end of August.
- Dec. 23 – Jan. 4 – the High School/Middle School will be closed to all activities, events, etc…
- January 4, 2016 - Classes begin again. Mr. Banks and the staff are working on detailed plans for where classes will be assigned. We are going to be very creative and remain flexible and I really do believe the students will enjoy some of the changes and have fun with all of it.
- A few of our classes / teachers will be off campus for 2nd semester. We plan to shuttle some of our classes to the Indian Hills Center classrooms and possibly to one of the newly remodeled north rooms at the Keosauqua Health Care Center. A very special “thank you” to both of these agencies for the opportunity for our students to attend class at a different location during our construction project. While we certainly realize that moving a few of our classes off campus can be a disruption; we plan to make this a real-life learning experience and do everything that we can to make it as smooth as possible. We ask that you support us in this endeavor and if you have real-world examples that you can share with our students, please do so!